|Home address||2022 Quimby Mountain Rd.
Sharon, Vermont 05065
|1974||Ph.D., Geophysics, Princeton University|
|1968||M.S., Geophysics, California Institute of Technology|
|1967||B.S., Geophysics, California Institute of Technology|
- geophysical inverse theory
- seismic and acoustic wave phenomena
- time series analysis
- numerical methods
- laboratory measurement and control systems
|1992–2007||Chief Scientist, New England Research, Inc., White River Junction, Vermont|
|1990||Princeton University, Visiting Professor, Dept. of Geological and Geophysical Sciences|
|1981-1992||Amoco Production Company, Geophysical Research Department,Tulsa Research Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma|
|1974-1981||University of Colorado, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) and Department of Physics, Boulder Colorado|
|1972-1974||Princeton University, Dept. of Geological and Geophysical Sciences (return to graduate studies)|
|1970-1972||U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab (CRREL), Hanover, New Hampshire|
|1969-1972||United States Army (active duty)|
|1968-1969||Princeton University, Dept. of Geological and Geophysical Sciences (graduate studies)|
|1967-1968||California Institute of Technology, Dept. of Geological Sciences (graduate studies)|
Publications and Patents:
- Smith, M.L., and J.N. Franklin, “Geophysical Application of the Generalized Inverse”, J. Geophys. Res., May 1969.
- Smith, M.L., “On the Determination of Elastic and Anelastic Properties of Isotropic Spheres”, USACRREL Research Report 299, January 1972.
- Nakano, Y., R.J. Martin, and M.L. Smith, “Ultrasonic Velocities of Dilatational and Shear Wave in Frozen Soils, Water Resources Research, 8, 1024-1030, August 1972.
- Smith, M.L. and F.A. Dahlen, “The Azimuthal Dependence of Love and Rayleigh Wave Dispersion in a Slightly Anisotropic Medium”, J. Geophys. Res., 78, 3321-3333, June 1973.
- Smith, M.L., and Y. Nakano, “Model Analysis of Vehicle Trafficability with Application to the Surface Effect Vehicle on Sea Ice”, J. Terramechanics, 9,65-82, 1972.
- Smith, M.L., “The Scalar Equations of Infinitesimal Elastic-Gravitational Motion for a Rotating, Elliptical Planet”, Geo. J.R. Astr. Soc., 37,491-526,1974.
- Dahlen, F.A., and M.L. Smith, “The Influence of Rotation on the Free Oscillations of the Earth, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London, A 279,583-629, September 1975.
- Smith, M.L., “Translational Inner Core Oscillations of a Rotation, Elliptical Earth”, J. Geophys. Res., 81, 3055-3065, June 1976.
- Smith, M.L., “Wobble and Nutation of the Earth”, Geo. J.R. Astr. Soc., 50, 103-140, 1977.
- Fedorov, E.P., M.L. Smith, and P.L. Bender, editors, “Nutation and the Earth’s Rotation (Kiev), Reidel, Proceedings of IAU Symposium No. 78 , 1980.
- Smith, M.L., “A Normal Mode of Study of Wobble and Nutation”, in Proceedings of IAU Symposium No. 78, 1980.
- Wahr, J. M., T. Sasao, and M.L. Smith, “Effect of the Fluid core on Changes in the Length of Day Due to Long Period Tides”, Geo. J. R. Astr. Soc., 1980.
- Smith, M.L., and F.A. Dahlen, “Period and Q of the Chandler Wobble”, Geo. J. R. Astr. Soc., 1981.
- Smith, M.L., “The Theoretical Description of the Nutation of the Earth”, in Proceedings of IAU Colloquium No. 56, Reference Coordinate Systems for Earth Dynamics, E.M. Gaposchkin and M.G. Rochester, eds., Reidel, 1981.
- Seidelmann, P.K., et al., “1980 IAU Theory of Nutation: The Final Report of the IAU Working Group on Nutation”, Celestial Mechanics, 27,79-106,1982.
- Gutowski, P.R., M.L. Smith, and C.H. Sondergeld, “Sonic Logging system”, U.S. Patent 4,740,928, April 26, 1988.
- Sondergeld, C.H., and M.L. Smith, “Acoustic Well Logging Method and System for Obtaining a Measure of Formation Anisotropy”, U.S. Patent 4,794,572, December 27, 1988.
- Read, R.L., and M.L. Smith, “A Lightweight UIMS, Software- Practice and Experience, 21, 13-33, 1991.
- Smith, M.L., C.H. Sondergeld, and J.O. Norris, “The Amoco array Sonic Logger”, Society of Professional Well Log Analysts, 32, 201-214, 1991.
- Scales, J.A., M.L. Smith, and T.L. Fischer, “Global Optimization Methods for Multimodal Inverse Problems”, Journal of Computational Physics, 1992, 103, 258-268.
- Scales, J.A., M.L. Smith, and K. Balluder, “Selecting an Operating System, Part III: Unix in a Laboratory Environment,” Computers in Physics, 1995, 9, 584-588.
- Zadler, B.J., J.H.L. Le Rousseau, J.A. Scales, and M.L.Smith, “Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy: theory and application”, Geo. J. Intl., 2004.
- Scales, J.A., and M.L. Smith, “Resonance Spectroscopy: Time versus frequency and open versus closed systems”, J.A.S.A., 2010.
- Smith, M.L., and J.A. Scales, and M. Weiss, and B.J. Zadler, “A low-cost millimeter wave interferometer for remote vibration sensing”, Journal of Applied Physics, 108, 2, 2010.
- Gibson, D., and M.L. Smith, and J.A. Scales, and B.J. Zadler, “Producing an intense collimated beam of sound via a nonlinear ultrasonic array”, in press.
- Brown, S.R., and M.L. Smith, “Inversion of Geophysical Measurements for Fracture Geometry,” 38th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics, Washington, D.C., July, 2001.